We’re only two weeks into the new year and already there are some fabulous design trends we’re looking forward to in 2017. Some of these design trends are carryovers from 2016 – subway tile isn’t going anywhere soon, it looks fantastic, is easy to install and looks great in any home. And some of these design trends are actually making a comeback like the use of bright colors. If you’re wondering what the hot design trends are for 2017, then check out the list below.
Design Trends We’re Looking Forward to in 2017
- Wood Tile – Wood tile is a new trend that we are loving. Not only does it add warmth and character to any room, but it also provides a modern twist on the rustic look that has been popular for the last few years.
- Subway Tile – Subway tile provides a lovely neutral that can be paired with most decor so this trend isn’t going away anytime soon. Subway tiles are a great basic for any kitchen, bath, laundry room, pet shower or mud room.
- Terra Cotta – Building on the idea of warmth, terra cotta will be utilized in floor tile, wall tile and accessories like containers, book ends, and other accessories.
- Smart Devices – We’ve been seeing smart devices come on the market for a few years now, but with the introduction of Google Now this year competing with Amazon’s Echo you’ll see more and more devices designed to go online. Many features in your home can be voice activated such as lights, the thermostat, outlets, stereo etc. With these smart assistants you can access the web and control your home all with just your voice.
- Cozy Spaces – While an open floor plan remains popular, people want a cozy place to retreat to for reading, unwinding and relaxing. Book nooks will be a big trend in 2017 and on.
- Hygge – Hygge is the Danish idea of warm and cozy. A book nook could be hygge, but so could the couch or the bedroom. Hygge is using blankets, pillows etc to create a warm and cozy space to relax.
- Jewel Tones – Jewel tones are back! Goodbye neutrals and hello color! You’ll find bright jewel tones used in upholstery, wall paper, paint, flooring – anywhere you want to see a pop of color.
- Cork – Cork is making a comeback, too. Cork is a natural in the kitchen, rear foyer, laundry room, office and craft room. Anyplace you need a little organization is a great place for cork. Because it is a natural substance, it also brings warmth into the room while being eco friendly.
- Repurposed Items – Upcycling is a great way to get more use out of any item. Turn an old desk into a stunning dressing table with a mirror and some fabric. Scour antique stores and garage sales for great finds and turn them into unique treasures.
- Heated Floors – Are you noticing a theme here? Heated floors is another trend that provides warmth to the room. Common in master baths, now you’ll see this affordable luxury in mud rooms, kitchens and screened in porches.